Transport Facilities in KozhikodeKozhikode has been ranked the second best place to reside in. There are many factors which have helped make that decision. One of the main factors is the transportation in Kozhikode. Not only does Kozhikode provide the locals and the tourists various transportation facilities, it also provides the best-in-class transportation. You can reach this city by Air, Rail, Road and Sea.
Within the city, you will find buses, taxis, rental cars, rental bikes, auto-rickshaws and rickshaws. Luxury coaches will help you reach major cities and nearby states, and also make your journey pleasant and comfortable. They usually have 2 or more routes for the same destination, which help people to decide the most convenient route that they would prefer. Since Kozhikode is a major tourist destination, the transport facilities have to be top notch. Kozhikode has really done well in taking care of this. Various individual owners are there in Kozhikode, who are competing with each other to provide the best bus services and taxi services. All the transport facilities available to reach Kozhikode, as well the transportation facilities available in the city are given below.
Roadways in KozhikodeKozhikode is well connected by roadways. Various national and state highways connect many different cities to Kozhikode. Even inside the city, the roads are connected well to every area and locality. The Kerala State Road Transport Cooperation (KSRTC) is the government’s transport service of buses in the city. There are three bus stands in the city. The KSRTC bus stand is the biggest bus stand not only in Kozhikode, but also in the whole of Kerala. It has an area of 36,036.47 square meters. All the KSRTC buses run from this bus stand. Apart from this bus stand, the KSRTC has four other depots at Thiruvambady, Vadakara, Thottilpalam and Thamarassery.
The second bus stand is the Mofussil bus stand, which is also one of the largest bus stands in Kerala. Only private buses start from here which take passengers only to the adjoining districts. The third bus stand in Kozhikode is the Palayam Bus Stand. Private buses start from here and take passengers to the nearby towns and the sub-urban areas.
Buses are easily available to take you to major cities like Bangalore and Kochi.
There are two routes to take you to Bangalore. One route, starting from Kozhikode, passes through the cities like Gundlupet and Mysore. The other route passes through Gundlupet, Chamarajanagar and Kollegal. The latter route is the less travelled one. The former route is preferred over the latter, but is very busy as compared to the latter. To travel to Kochi, there is a coastal route which passes through the University, Chavakkad, North Paravur and Tirur. Though it is the easiest route to reach Kochi, in some parts this road gets very narrow. Night services of buses are provided by private tour operators to the cities like Ooty, Chennai, Ernakulam, Coimbatore, Bangalore, Mumbai, Trivandrum and Quilon. They start their services from the Palayam Bus Stand.
National Highways now have by pass roads which are open to traffic. The Calicut Airport or Malappuram can now be reached from Wayanad area and beyond, without the necessity of touching the city.
National Highways connect all the major cities. The National Highway 212 connects Kozhikode to Mysore (Karnataka) via a few important cities like Gundlupet, Sulthan, Kalpetta, Thamarassery, Nanjangud, Tirumakudal, Narsipur and Bathery. The city is connected to important and premier institutes like IISR, CWRDM, NIT-C and IIM-K through this highway.
The National Highway 213 connects Kozhikode with Palakkad. At a suburb of Kozhikode called Ramanattukara, it joins the National Highway 17. Covering a total distance of about 125 kilometers (78 m), it passes through cities like Perinthalmanna, Mannarkkad, Kondotty and Malappuram. This stretch connects the city as well as the Calicut International Airport.
The National Highway 17 connects the city of Kozhikode to Mumbai. Along the west coast of India, this connection is via Goa, Mangalore and Udupi to the North and via Kochi to the South. This National Highway connects Kozhikode to important cities and towns like Edapally, North Paravur, Kodungallur, Chavakkad, Guruvayoor, Ponnani, Kuttippuram, Kottakkal, Pavangad, Quilandi, Vadakra, Mahe, Thalassery, Kannur, Kahangad and Kasaragod.
Various other State Highways also connect the city of Kozhikode to different towns and important landmarks.
‘Kallada travels’ is supposedly a good bus travel operator and provides its buses from Kozhikode to various major cities. These are luxury buses some of which are semi-sleeper and some are full-sleepers. Some of the important bus services with full details are given below.
- Kallada Travels- Kozhikode to Bangalore- A/C Semi-Sleeper- 3 am- Rate Rs.950
- Kallada Travels- Kozhikode to Bangalore- A/C Semi-Sleeper- 1:30 pm- Rate Rs.950
- Kallada Travels- Kozhikode to Bangalore- Non A/C Semi-Sleeper- 8:15 pm- Rate Rs.600
- Kallada Travels- Kozhikode to Bangalore- A/C Semi-Sleeper- 10:45 pm- Rate Rs.1250
- Kallada Travels- Kozhikode to Chennai- A/C Semi-Sleeper- 5 pm- Rate Rs.1550
- Kallada Travels- Kozhikode to Hyderabad- A/C Semi-Sleeper- 1:30 pm- Rate Rs.1950
- Kallada Travels- Kozhikode to Coimbatore- A/C Semi-Sleeper- 5 pm- Rate Rs.850
- Kallada Travels- Kozhikode to Mangalore- A/C Semi-Sleeper- 2 am- Rate Rs.650
- Kallada Travels- Kozhikode to Pondicherry- A/C Semi-Sleeper- 5 pm- Rate Rs.1550
The local buses of the KSRTC are much cheaper and have more frequent buses to many destinations.
- KSRTC- Kozhikode to Bangalore- 10 buses daily- Rate Rs.188
- KSRTC- Kozhikode to Mangalore- 4 buses daily- Rate Rs.148
- KSRTC- Kozhikode to Ooty- 10 buses daily- Rate Rs.188
- KSRTC- Kozhikode to Thrissur- frequently- Rate Rs.74
- KSRTC- Kozhikode to Trivandrum- 8 buses daily- Rate Rs.248
- KSRTC- Kozhikode to Kottayam- 13 buses daily- Rate Rs.146
Railways in Kozhikode
The railway station in Kozhikode is located just south of Mananchira Square. Some of the important trains from Kozhikode are mentioned below.
- Kozhikode to Mangalore- (2nd class/3AC/2AC)- Rs.64/310/445- Duration 5 hours
- Kozhikode to Kannur- (2nd class/3AC/2AC)- Rs.34/188/266- Duration 2 hours
- Kozhikode to Ernakulam- (2nd class/3AC/2AC)- Rs.57/281/402- Duration 5 hours
- Kozhikode to Thrissur- (2nd class/3AC/2AC)- Rs.41/213/295- Duration 3.5 hours
- Kozhikode to Trivandrum- (2nd class/3AC/2AC)- Rs.190/505/716- Duration 11 hours
- Kozhikode to Coimbatore- (2nd class/3AC/2AC)- Rs.101/271/288- Duration 5 hours
- Kozhikode to Pallakad- (2nd class/3AC/2AC)- Rs.101/221/316- Duration 5 hours
Sampark Kranti and the Mangala Ldweep are the two trains that start from Kozhikode and come to Delhi. The Sampark Kranti starts only on Saturdays whereas the Mangala Ldweep starts once every day from Kozhikode. The price for both is around Rs.700, and both reach Delhi on the 3rd day from which they start.
Address Kozhikode Railway Station: Kuttichira, Kozhikode, Kerala- 673001
Important phone numbers for the Railways in Kozhikode are given below:
- Elathur Railway Station: 0495 2462041
- Kadalundi Railway Station: 0495 2470244
- Kallai Railway Station: 0495 2320544
- Koyilandy Railway Station: 0496 2620255
- Vatakara Railway Station: 0496-252425
- Call Center: 1331
- Reservation Enquiry, Kozhikode: 0495 2703822
- Railway information, Kozhikode: 0495 2701234
- Automatic Train Time Information: 1335
- Automatic Reservation Information ENGLISH: 1361
- Automatic Reservation Information HINDI: 1362
- Automatic Reservation Information MALAYALAM: 1363
The Calicut International Airport is around 26 kilometers from Kozhikode at a city called Karipur in Malappuram. Domestic flights are operated to many major cities. International flights to the Middle Eastern countries are operated frequently, which include Colombo, Doha, Bahrain, Sharjah, Jiddah, Riyadh, Dammam, Muscat, Abu Dhabi and Dubai. From New Delhi, there are 3 major airlines that have their flights landing frequently at Kozhikode, which are Spice jet, Jet Airways and Air India.
Waterways in KozhikodeVery few cities can boast of waterways. Kozhikode is one of the very few cities which can be reached by water. The port of Kozhikode runs along a coast line extending from Elathur cape to the southern back of the river called Kadalundi, and treads almost in a straight line. The coastal and foreign trade is open in the ports of Kozhikode, Beypore and Badagara. Ferry services are quite popular in Kozhikode and connect many locations. The Kerala State Water Transport Department provides facilities for the operation of ferries for passengers and tourists. Through the backwaters, this service is the cheapest means of transportation that you will find in Kozhikode.
Local Transport in KozhikodeTaxi services are easily available in Kozhikode for the convenience of the locals and the tourists. Many major private companies are there in Kozhikode which offer their services. Many of these have the facilities for online bookings and before-hand. You can just book a cab on the internet or just by making one phone call. There will be many taxi and car rental companies that would be ready to serve you instantly. There are many government taxis in Kozhikode as well. They are definitely cheaper than the private taxis, but not as comfortable. Radio cabs are very famous in Kozhikode.
These car rental companies offer their services for either full or half day. The full day package gives you 8 hours and 80 kilometers of car service. It is ideal for tourists who want to spend the day sightseeing, exploring the city, shopping, etc. The half day package gives you 4 hours and 40 kilometers of car service. It is ideal for tourists who want to visit a place which is close by, or just want to go shopping etc.
There are a few taxi stands in Kozhikode, and some of the car rental companies, whose addresses are given below.
Cherot Ln, Chakkorathukulam,
Phone Number: 09995729242
Great Malabar Travels
5/3397 D, United Comples,
Behind Nandilath G Mart,
Indira Gandhi Road,
Phone Number: 09645623956
No. 1/4754-E, Vasu Building,
Bilathikulam Road, Vandipetta,
West Nadakkave, Nadakkave,
Phone Number: 09745304552.
Medical College Road,
Phone Number: 0495 2357248
Phone Number: 09947056947
Clear Car Rental
Their Office is not in Kozhikode but you can contact them on:
Phone Number (24 x 7): +91 8888855220